The organizational meeting of the Board of Directors of First convened on November 4, 1908. It was decided to purchase the property on the east side of South Main Street next to the residence of Dr. & Mrs. J. M. Kuhn to locate the bank. This property was 19 1/2 feet wide and 40 feet deep and cost $2,000. Dr. & Mrs. Kuhn’s parlor was rented as a temporary banking room until the bank building could be built.
Our Charter No. 9330 was received from the Comptroller of the Currency January 29, 1909. FIRST opened for business on February 1, 1909 with total assets of $22,323.84. During the summer of 1909 they moved into their new building.
On August 12, 1923 it was voted to purchase the Myers building on the southwest corner of the square, the present location of the Bank. This facility opened for business February 1927. The night depository was added October 1937. Total assets on June 30, 1941 totaled $992,677.99 and 18 years later, total assets were $3,403,725.09.
The building remained pretty much the same until December 1965 when interior renovations were made and our drive-up window was installed. Total assets hit the $10 million mark in the early seventies.
The walk-up window was installed in August 1975 and our branch office in Fort Loudon was opened May 1977. We purchased our first in-house computer system December 1978. We bought property west of the bank for additional employee parking October 1983. Our banking facility was enlarged and major renovations were completed October 1984.
On October 30, 1989 our North End Office opened for business at 454 Loudon Road. A drive-up Automatic Teller Machine was installed as an added customer convenience. In 1994 our Data Processing Center was completed at our North End location. In 1995 a drive-up Automatic Teller Machine was installed at our Fort Loudon Office as an additional customer convenience.
In 1998 we added full service brokerage through a third party affiliation. In 1999 we began offering trust services through a third party affiliation, and attained our insurance license to sell fixed and variable rate annuities. On November 15, 1999 our fourth full service office located at 821 South Washington Street, Greencastle was opened. Our fifth banking office was opened on November 26, 2001 at 1680 Orchard Drive, Chambersburg, PA.
The Bank celebrated reaching the $100 million in asset milestone in June 2002. In July of 2003 construction on the Mercersburg Financial Center was completed on West Seminary Street and the insurance, investment and administrative offices moved to the new location. We opened an additional office in Scotland, PA on April 14, 2008.
On May 14 2014, The First National Bank of Mercersburg applied with Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities to convert from a national banking association to a state chartered non-member institution. We received notification on September 29, 2014 that the application was approved, and on December 15, 2014 we became First Community Bank of Mercersburg.
We’ve come a long way since that first meeting in 1908. Through the years, asset growth has been steady since the initial investment. With six community offices throughout Franklin County, we serve a growing customer base. We remain dedicated to providing exceptional customer service with hometown values.