The organizational meeting of the Board of Directors of The First National Bank of Mercersburg convened on November 4, 1908. It was decided to purchase the property on the east side of South Main Street next to the residence of Dr. and Mrs. J. M. Kuhn. This property was only 19 ½ feet wide and 40 feet deep and cost $2,000.00. Dr. and Mrs. Kuhn's parlor was rented as a temporary banking room until the bank could be built.
- Our Charter #9330 was received from the Comptroller of the Currency on January 29, 1909. The Bank opened for business on February 1, 1909, with total assets of $2,323.84. During the summer of 1909, the first building was completed and ready for business.
- On August 12, 1923, the Board of Directors purchased the Myers building on the southwest corner of the square, the present location of the Main Street Office. The Main Street Office facility opened for business February 1927. The night depository was added October 1937. In addition to the Main Street Office, other Community Offices were opened to serve the growing customer base.
- In May 1977 our first Community Office was opened in Fort Loudon.
- The Main Street Office was enlarged and major renovations were completed.
- On October 30, 1989, our North End Office opened for business. A drive-up Automated Teller Machine was installed for customer convenience.
- Our Data Processing Center was completed at our North End Office.
- On November 15, our fourth full service office located in Greencastle was opened. We also obtained our insurance license to sell fixed and variable rate annuities.
- Our Chambersburg Community Office opened November 26, 2001, as our fifth full-service office.
- On August 1, 2003, our Mercersburg Financial Center located on West Seminary Street, Mercersburg, was opened. This building houses our Administration offices, Commercial Lending offices, Investment Services and a training center.
- On April 14, 2008, we opened a full-service Community Office in Scotland near the Chambersburg Mall.
We've come a long way since that first meeting in 1908. Through the years, asset growth has been steady since the initial investment. With six community offices throughout Franklin County, we serve a growing customer base. We remain dedicated to providing exceptional customer service with hometown values.
The First National Bank of Mercersburg is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mercersburg Financial Corporation formed in 1987. Inquiries concerning Mercersburg Financial Corporation stock should be directed to Julie A. Statler, CFO.